Protherm Plumbing & Heating
Carbon Monoxide Detectors
You’d be amazed how many homes we visit to carry out boiler services that don’t have carbon monoxide alarms! An efficient and quality carbon monoxide detector will sniff out the danger and could save you or one of your loved ones life! However, there are plenty of alarms on the market that aren’t effective, in fact as many as a fifth that are on sale today are unreliable…a pretty terrifying thought!
Don’t fret…our gas safe registered family-run team here at Protherm have more than 35 years’ experience when it comes to gas safety; here are our top tips when choosing a carbon monoxide alarm:
- Kitemark: Before you purchase a carbon monoxide alarm it is imperative you make sure it has a Kitemark. A kitemark is a British approval mark and is usually found on the bottom left or right of your alarms packaging.
- Sell life: The sell life on a carbon monoxide alarm can range from 3 to 10 years. Typically, the longer the sell life, the more expensive the alarm, but what does that matter if it keeps you and your family safe.
- Black spot detectors: Steer clear from ‘black spot’ detectors, as these types of detectors will not make a sound if they detect poisonous gas, meaning if you’re sleeping at the time it could be too late by the time morning comes!
- 2 in 1 alarms: 2 in 1 smoke and carbon monoxide alarms are available, these types of detectors are convenient, just be sure to choose one with a kitemark, long sell life and one that will make a sound if it detects carbon monoxide as well as smoke.
- Test your alarm: Don’t forget to regularly test your alarm!
At Protherm we will give you a complimentary alarm when we carry out a boiler service, meaning you can sleep easy knowing our team of experts have fitted an alarm in your home that will keep you and your family safe. Don’t just take our word for it, our 9.96 Checkatrade rating confirms it.